Monday, February 4, 2019

Experiences #AFEE5116

Feb 4. 2019


I don’t have experience planning or completing an SAE since I never went through an FFA program in high school. My experience with experiential learning is made up of my Boy Scout experience and working through my Eagle Scout Project. Through Boy Scouts I got to explore different activities through merit badges and working through all the requirements as I moved through the ranks. The eagle project is a milestone of service and is a marker of the highest rank in Boy Scouts. It consists of designing, planning, fundraising, and execution of the project which is a service project to benefit an organization of your choice.
              My project consisted of building 8 ten-foot wood benches for a local soccer complex. I chose this because I knew the complex needed new benches since the area was becoming more popular. Because of the scope of this project I needed to fundraise and find donors which was a new experience for high school me. I found a local carpenter who helped design the benches as well as did the metal fabrication. With his help I was able create a materials list as well as learn how much I need to fundraise to complete this project. That was my next task, fundraise enough money to get the material and complete the project. I went to local companies and talked with them about the project and having them donate to my cause. Through this whole project I had to keep records and receipts to show the progress at the end.
I learned many skills like networking, how to communicate with business leaders, leading a group, and wood working. Much of this was done on my own time when I wanted because I didn’t have a supervisor or someone to report to. My scoutmaster would check in early during the process to see how it’s going, but it was heavily on me to get it up and rolling. Once we had the materials and frames made it moved quicker because it was in the hands of the carpenter and we wanted to get them built and moved out to the complex for the community to enjoy, (and clear up space in his shop).
              Based on my experience I do want students to gain similar experience because it allows students to develop new skills and discover their talents. In my classroom I want students to complete SAE’s no matter if the are or are not part of FFA. It will hopefully just become part of the curriculum and will become part of the class that they will need to complete so if they want to use it in their FFA endeavors it will benefit them. There are many benefits that I see from experiences like this because it gets students out of the classroom and doing something they are interested in (hopefully) because it’s a project that they pick and devote time into. With high school students if they devote outside of school time it is something they invest in, so they can learn tools and tricks.
              I plan to learn many things from my spring placement with Larson and Hoefs in Medford. I know that SAE is part of their classes and is required of students, so I want to learn how they integrate it and how students who aren’t part of FFA (if there are any) complete it. I have much to learn about the formal behind the scenes of SAE like grants, placements, and any degrees or proficiencies that can relate to it because that is all new to me. Other educators around my area may have ideas or similar troubles so I plan to contact others in my area once I find my spot and build my network of similar professionals to learn and grow from. For those reading, what experience do you have with SAE or experiential learning? What was difficult about the process and what were some rewards as you completed it or moved through your experience?

Learn more about SAE from the National FFA website.

No comments:

Post a Comment