Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Over the Hill. #AFEE 5112

March 26. 2019
Over the Hill.


Over the hill, halfway done with my student teaching experience; it’s going as crazy as one might have thought. I just finished teaching my Animal Science course and received my feedback from my students. I have worked with those students from the start of my experience since animal science is my home base in terms of information and have taught them for just about 5 weeks (if you can count all of it with the snow days we had). I was able to move through some topics and complete two units as well as try some new activities and lessons, so I am grateful these students stuck with me through it and were in good spirits being the guinea pigs for me.

Some things I learned as I read through my student’s feedback were a couple things. Even though I spaced out my pacing and lesson plans there were a handful of students who still thought we could have slowed down and gained a better understanding of the content. I can understand how some might have felt that way. I had a small gap of time to get my content in before switching classes, so I wanted to make sure I left them on a rounded up note and not in the middle of a unit. This caused me to not go as in depth into the content which were different livestock breeds as we might have wanted. Student’s also commented on the atmosphere of the classroom and how I was perceived. Students said I was very welcoming and had a positive attitude in class, so they were excited to be in that class for the day. I know on my end there were those hard days where my head was elsewhere with other business that was bogging me down so it’s assuring to see that even though we as educators might be dealing with something we put the students ahead and not let it take away from their learning.

Going forward with the second half of my experience I plan to continue to build those student relationships and maintain a positive and exciting classroom. I will continue to create a place where students can’t wait to get to during their day or they don’t want to leave. Learning and growing with student relationships is fun, learning who is doing track and field, seeing students at trap practice, after school at robotics or play and just checking in on their busy and crazy lives. It has been a fun and busy couple weeks and I don’t plan for it to slow down. Below are some of the student works from a by-product assignment. Students found things they use that are made from animal by-products.


No comments:

Post a Comment